Vilter’s new machining center, featuring the Mazak Nexus HCN8800 Mu, is entirely installed and in full production for single screw compressor housings. The new machining center has been in operation for the past year. The Mazak Nexus creates an ultra-high accuracy horizontal machining center operating within the Vilter facility.
Some of the key features of this new machine are:
• Coolant lines through bed, column & ball screws to control thermal growth
• Ceramic spindle bearings
• Ultra-precise class roller guides
• Hand scraped mating surfaces
• High resolution encoders and optical scales
• Hydraulic system controlled via VFD to maintain pressure while minimizing temperature rise
• Allows minimum program increment of .00001” rather than typical .0001”
• Positioning accuracies of .00007” will help hold screw housing tolerances
The tooling capacity of the Mazak machine lies in the tool hive (pictured below) that has 456 pockets; enabling the machine to hold all the required tooling for the various sizes of single screw housings. The tooling hive is capable of handling large tools by size and weight and will eliminate the need to change tooling at set-up, reducing set-up time and reducing or eliminating operator errors.