Innovative Refrigeration Technology Capable of Annual Energy Savings of up to 49 Percent
ST. LOUIS, Jan. 23, 2015
— New Department of Energy (DOE) standards for commercial refrigeration equipment will take effect in 2017, and original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) are beginning to evaluate design options in order to meet those standards. With new innovative refrigeration technology, Emerson Climate Technologies, Inc., a company of Emerson
(NYSE: EMR), hasn’t just met those standards — they’ve surpassed them.
The Design Services Network (DSN) business of Emerson Climate Services LLC has retrofitted a 24 cubic foot, glass door reach-in with innovative refrigeration technology and tested it to demonstrate how OEMs can surpass the new DOE standards without increasing the size of the equipment.
DSN applied products from Emerson Climate Technologies, Emerson Retail Services group and other third-party products to create this technology. The results include technology capable of exceeding regulatory compliance through 2020 and energy savings for end users of up to 49 percent annually.
“One of our primary initiatives is to design our products so that they can easily work together with existing equipment to deliver reliable, energy-efficient solutions to the end user,” said Suresh Shivashankar, manager, business development, DSN. “This new reach-in technology represents an entire solution that OEMs should consider when designing refrigeration systems.”
Other features of this new reach-in technology include:
- Variable-capacity hermetic compressor and inverter control, which can modulate capacity to respond to changing load conditions and is ideal for use in foodservice applications
- Electronically commutated fan motors, which offer significant energy savings when compared to conventional permanent split capacitor motors
- Smart controls, which offer predictive algorithms to reduce energy consumption and optimize the operations of the compressor, fans, lights and defrost heaters
- Anti-condensate heater control, a revolutionary energy-saving device that uses a patented closed-loop algorithm for continuous monitoring of door frame temperature in conjunction with the surrounding dew point
- Compatibility with Emerson’s ecoSYS Site Supervisor, a system that combines energy management with the ability to monitor various facility systems and provide alerts when issues need attention
DSN provides testing, design and system engineering for residential and commercial air conditioning and refrigeration systems. The division is an EPA-approved test lab for the ENERGY STAR® program.
Emerson (NYSE: EMR), based in St. Louis, Missouri (USA), is a global leader in bringing technology and engineering together to provide innovative solutions for customers in industrial, commercial and consumer markets around the world. The company is comprised of five business segments: Process Management, Industrial Automation, Network Power, Climate Technologies, and Commercial & Residential Solutions. Sales in fiscal 2014 were $24.5 billion. For more information, visit Emerson.com
About Emerson Climate Technologies
Emerson Climate Technologies, a business segment of Emerson, is the world’s leading provider of heating, air conditioning and refrigeration solutions for residential, industrial and commercial applications. The group combines best-in-class technology with proven engineering, design, distribution, educational and monitoring services to provide customized, integrated climate-control solutions for customers worldwide. The innovative solutions of Emerson Climate Technologies, which include industry-leading brands such as Copeland Scroll™ and White-Rodgers™, improve human comfort, safeguard food and protect the environment.